Do you know the secret to a blooming backyard? Sun and soil are important, but it’s butterflies, bees, and other pollinators like these that bring your garden to life year after year.
With one-third of our food supply and at least 80% of the world’s flowering plants depending on pollinators, their impact can be felt everywhere – from your backyard to your dinner plate.
Yet bees and butterflies are disappearing. Impacted by disease, pesticides, and the loss of open spaces, pollinators like these are now in danger. And as they suffer, so too does the beauty and productivity of the Eastern Sierra lands you care about – and all the families and wildlife that call this special place home.
However, there’s good news: you can be part of a lasting solution, helping to keep the Eastern Sierra thriving for years to come. How is that? By creating a beautiful, blooming haven for pollinators in your yard!
Generous support for our Eastside Pollinator Garden Project has been provided by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.
Thank you to our advisors:
Start Your Eastside Pollinator Garden
Our Eastside Pollinator Garden Project is now certifying gardens and working lands throughout Inyo and Mono Counties. There are 5 simple steps to the certification process:
- Review our certification criteria. If you decide the project is right for you, fill out our Eastside Pollinator Garden Project Interest Form.
- Contact us to schedule a Garden Consultation. We’ll meet with you to discuss your pollinator garden space, offer suggestions, answer your questions, and help get you started.
- Create your pollinator garden! Once your garden is underway, we’ll schedule a Progress Check-In with you to help make sure you’ll be eligible to receive a $125 voucher for native plant purchases.
- Pick up your free native plants at the Plant Sale. You’ll receive 5 milkweed plants (valued at $25) and a voucher good for $100 worth of other native plants of your choosing. Add these new plants to your pollinator garden.
- Show off your garden and receive your Pollinator Garden certification plaque at your Final Garden visit.
How We Can Help
Our team at Eastern Sierra Land Trust is ready to help you bring your garden to life with pollinators. Signing up for the Eastside Pollinator Garden Project is completely free – and with your participation, you’ll receive:
- A complementary voucher for 5 milkweed and $100 worth of additional native plants, available at the California Native Plant Society’s annual Native Plant Sale over the summer.
- A free Certified Pollinator Garden Plaque to display once your garden has met the certification criteria.
- Access to our recommended plant lists, expert recommendations, and other resources.
- Invitations to gardening events and workshops in your area – including our annual Pollinator Party, a special celebration for gardeners participating in the Eastside Pollinator Garden Project.
Garden Certification Criteria
We have created certification criteria to help guide your landscaping plans and maximize your garden’s benefit to pollinators. Note: we are only able to provide one certification per property.
To download the following certification criteria as a PDF, Click Here
- Three “Food” features
- Both of the two “Water” features
- Two “Shelter” features
- Plants native to California (preferably the Owens Valley) make up 50% of your Pollinator Garden space
- Minimal artificial lighting unless illuminating a structure or hazard